You guessed right, it is a Black Widow Spider. It had a nice web and had caught some dinner for it.
Alexandra guessed right away what it was and we were impressed that she identified it. It made for an easy learning lesson for the kids.
"Do not touch these spiders, Caroline. They will bite you and make you very, very sick. Do not squoosh these spiders, they may bite you before your squoosh them. Do not pick them up, do not catch them. Do not go near them!"
"Caroline, are you paying attention?"
This spider met his demise.
6 comments:
I am scared to death of spiders. Hopefully Caroline won't want to play with this one. Couldn't help but laugh at the stint of the butterfly. I remember David when he would catch things and bring them into the house. We was infested with crickets and lizards. YUCK!!!! Thank goodness he outgrew it. But I sure miss those time.
Hope you and yours have a blessed day.
Laura
um, yeah. i'm not coming to visit. i have a thing about visiting rural areas. and by rural, i mean anything with more than about 10 sq feet of a back yard.
Ah you big baby. The spider is dead and the butterfly was let go this evening (yes outside this time) because we told Caroline that this butterfly was going to Disney World with his family and they were going to leave him if we didn't let him go.
Heh, I remember when I was about 12 my brother and I found a black widow and its sack of eggs. We wanted to see what would happen when the eggs hatched so put the spider and egg sack in mayo jar, than tossed the whole thing into a closet. When we came back the next day to check on it baby spiders were pouring out of the air holes that we had thoughtfully punched into the lid.
How awful! I would have freaked out to find that outside my door. I do not like spider and snakes or anything else equally icky.
i am a big baby. i don't like bugs. AT ALL. that is why i liked where i lived in colorado. few bugs because of the elevation. its why i like winter - no bugs because of the weather.
first bug i see, i'm inside hiding.
Post a Comment