Not that there is anything wrong with this.... We went to the mall this evening to eat at our favorite restaurant Qdobas. The entrance to the restaurant is outside of the mall. So by going to this restaurant you are not technically 'going into the mall'. It is sort of like lurking on the outside. Anyway, while we are eating I tell my husband that I want to go in the mall and go to a store that is closing/moving and they are having a big sale. He agrees and after we finish eating we walk to the entrance of the mall and walk in. We aren't in there more than 50 steps and I see two young men(not teen agers more like early 20's) walking towards us both wearing khaki pants and pink polo shirts. They are holding hands and talking to each other as they walk by. I at first notice that they BOTH wearing pink shirts and then I notice that they are holding hands. Then the next thing that pops into my little pea brain is that it must be a blatent joke and that someone put them up to it. But then quickly realize that, no, they are a couple and just enjoying each others' company as they are shopping. They walk past us and my husband quickly gives me a knowing glance and I give him 'eyes' back letting him know that yes, I saw them too. Then my middle daughter says, "mommy, did you see those men?" (uh oh) "yes" I say and she says, "they must work at the same place because they were wearing the same uniform." (whew) "yeah, I guess they do", I reply.
I am NOT ready to have THAT conversation with her yet...
4 comments:
This reminds me of the time that I was taking the greyhound back to visit some friends in Michigan from Colorado. There were a group of men that got on at one stop wearing the same thing. Then about 2 hour later there was a group of women getting on the bus, again wearing the same thing. Well it took me all the way to Chicago to get the nerve to ask one why they were all wearing white shirts and kacky pants. The only thing the guy said to me was, well I'll tell you we aren't a marching band. Then it dawned on me that they were prisoners just getting out of jail with their one way bus tickets to Chicago.
Eye opening experiences are not always that bad. I bet Allie would be very accepting of anyone.
have a great weekend.
No kidding Whitney, when I met my husband, he had two yes 2 pink polo shirts. I made him throw them away!!
yeah. all gay guys have pink polo shirts. ;-) lesbians don't get cool things like that. we just get hammers. and tool belts. :P i understand what you mean about the conversation though. it is a hard one to have - i mean, kids barely understand couplehood. (how many boyfriends does allie have?) and the images of heterosexuality are everywhere. i'm with your sis. allie would be all about 2 people having a good time. and really, any self-respecting gay couple would NOT be seen wearing matching polos and khakis. so 90's.
You all are right. Zebra and Barefoot, yes I do believe that she would be very accepting of it but it is just the technicalities of it all that I am not ready for. Shoot, I am not ready for any 'couplehood' conversation, girl and girl, boy and boy, or even girl and boy.
Personally, I liked the fact that they were openly holding hands and happy with each other and openly showing it. I like the fact that our society is becoming more accepting of it. But I am just not ready to have those conversations yet.
Post a Comment