Saturday, October 4, 2008

Apple Picking, becoming a family tradition

A few years ago, well 5 years, we went apple picking for the first time. The kids were squirts and we actually didn't even pick from the trees. It was super cold on top of the mountain and we got out of the car, well not the kids and Kenneth, and I bought a bunch of apples and some cider and some apple cider donuts. I hopped back in the car quickly and we headed back down the mountain and started back home.

Since then just about every year we have taken the kids apple picking. No, we didn't go 4 years ago, we skipped that year, but we did go 3 years ago and last year and this year. Anyway, we have been going. Sometimes we make a day out of it and pick apples, eat a picnic lunch and have a great time. Last year it was hotter than all get out on top of the mountain but the kids had fun climbing the trees and picking the apples. We bought the requisite donuts and headed down the mountain with about 100 lbs of apples. This year was no different. Well it sort of was. Today we went apple picking. We woke up late this morning and in no real hurry or time table we mosied up the mountain to pick. It was crowded more than I remember in the past. Oh my, the apple paying for line was 20 minutes long and the lines for the donuts were so long I didn't even try. The kids were hot and thirsty and we headed for the car after picking our apples. This year we were lucky because we were there for the Golden Delicious picking. Last year we picked Winesaps which were fine but our favorite is Golden Delish! So with our car laidened down with 125 lbs of apples we headed down the mountain, sans the donuts!

Instead of heading straight home, we decided to take a little ride to UVA and we showed the kids Edgar Alan Poe's dorm room and we crossed the street and I showed them the whispering wall. The kids loved it and thought it was great that you only had to whisper to hear really well on the other side and if you stand at the fountain in the middle you can't hear a thing. I told the kids that this was a very special school for kids who do really really well in their grades and they get to go to college here. They were a bit impressed but they didn't understand why anyone would want to go away from their moms and dads and live somewhere else other than home to go to school. "Oh, don't worry, when you get older you will too, I promise you." Nicholas said never and Allie thought for a minute and said no I don't think I will move away either. Caroline, didn't have any response. I think she will be the one to go far far away, and then I will cry.

So I leave you with a few pictures of the day:

No comments: